Nation

17 June, 05:39 PM

Evacuation of 568 civilians sheltering in the Azot plant in Severodonetsk ‘impossible’, says Luhansk governor

At current moment, the evacuation of civilians from the bomb shelters of the Severodonetsk Azot plant is impossible, the head of Luhansk Regional Military Administration, Serhiy Hayday, said on June 17.

“It’s physically impossible to get out of the plant right now, and it’s simply too dangerous to even try due to constant shelling and fighting,” he wrote on his Telegram channel.

According to him, there are 568 people taking shelter in Azot facility, including 38 children.

“These people refused to be evacuated when we offered it (to them) last month,” said Hayday.

Hayday said that leaving the plant safely would be possible only after a complete ceasefire is declared.

“Severodonetsk is not blocked, there are established lines of communication with the town,” he added.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has said that the battle for Severodonetsk is where the fate of the Donbas is being decided. The battles for the town are one of the most difficult in the entire war. Zelensky noted that the enemy loses about 300 personnel every day.

The Russian invaders destroyed all three bridges that led to Severodonetsk on June 13. Russian troops control 70-80% of the city, and local residents are currently living in extremely difficult conditions.

Другие новости

Все новости