EU sanctions major Russian banks, Rosatom, in 10th sanctions package
EU flags (Photo:REUTERS/Yves Herman)
The European Union sanctioned 87 individuals and 34 entities linked to the full-scale war in Ukraine in its 10th package of sanctions. The Official Journal of the EU published a list of the sanctioned entities on Feb. 25.
The list includes the following entities and individuals:
- Alfa Bank, Rosbank and Tinkoff Bank;
- a number of Rosatom (Russian nuclear operator) enterprises;
- Rosatomflot (the world's only fleet of nuclear-powered icebreakers);
- Organs of the Russian Ministry of Defense;
- The Russian Foreign Intelligence Service;
- The Patriot media group;
- The Russia Today media group;
- The Sputnik news agency;
- Russian Human Rights Ombudsman Tatyana Moskalkova;
- Yevgeny Primakov, Head of Rossotrudnichestvo, the agency responsible for organizing astroturfed pro-Russian rallies, as well as for recruiting pro-Russian agents;
- Vyacheslav Dukhin, an official in the Moscow City Council and a strong public supporter of the war;
- Chairman of the Presidential Council for the Development of Civil Society and Human Rights and propagandist Valery Fadeev;
- Vyacheslav Boguslaev, the former head of Motor Sich and a Ukrainian oligarch charged with high treason
A number of top managers of Russian propagandist media were affected, as well as four Iranians, including the director of Iranian state-owned aerospace Qods Aviation Industry Company.
The 10th package of EU sanction was announced on Feb. 25 to mark the first anniversary of the Russian full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called on the international community to step up pressure on the aggressor country in response to a rumored watered-down package of sanction the EU, in order to present a united front against the Russian armed aggression. Both the U.S. and the U.K. also announced new sanctions meant to restrict Russia’s ability to continue its armed conflict against Ukraine.
We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News