Wizz Air subsidiary to resume Moscow flights

9 August 2022, 05:59 PM
Wizz Air Abu Dhabi aircraft (Photo:Wizz Air Abu Dhabi)

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi aircraft (Photo:Wizz Air Abu Dhabi)

While much of the rest of the business world is packing up and leaving Russia due to its aggression against Ukraine, a subsidiary of Hungarian low-cost airline Wizz Air plans to resume flights to the pariah country as early as October.

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi is already selling tickets for flights to Moscow, starting in October, Wizz Air’s press office said, replying to an inquiry from NV Business.

“Wizz Air Abu Dhabi is an UAE national airline, adhering to UAE laws and policies,” the press office said.

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi is a low-cost passenger airline, established in UAE in December 2019. A local UAE company ADQ owns 51% of the airline, while Wizz Air Holdings controls the other 49%. The subsidiary was flying some of Wizz Air’s flights to Kyiv and Odesa.

Video of day

Wizz Air’s Hungarian office said that flights to Moscow would resume due to evident passenger demand, and would be in accordance to bilateral UAE-Russia air travel agreements.

“All national UAE airlines currently operate direct flights between the two countries,” the company added.

Wizz Air suspended its Russia air traffic on Feb. 27.

The company said in March that it will not resume flights to Russia until at least late October.

“Wizz Air Hungary and Wizz Air UK currently do not fly to or from Russia,” the airline told NV.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news