Around 500 civilians, including dozens of children, remain on the territory of the Azot chemical plant in Severodonetsk, said the head of the Luhansk oblast, Serhiy Hayday, on June 12, via Telegram messenger.
“Occasionally the military manages to evacuate someone,” said Hayday.
According to him, there is no threat of Ukrainian troops getting surrounded in Luhansk oblast. Hayday also reported that two bridges leading to Severodonetsk had been destroyed, and the remaining third one is "old and in a critical condition", which makes it impossible for trucks to use it. In the event of the destruction of this bridge, the regional center will be cut off, said the head of the Luhansk oblast.
“There is no evacuation from Severodonetsk,” he added.
“Given recent events, the only way out of the city is on foot over the remaining bridge, because the buses can’t use it. But this is extremely dangerous.”
Hayday stressed that an organized evacuation from the town would be possible if Russia provides security guarantees.
Earlier last week, President Volodymyr Zelensky, said that the fate of Donbas is being decided in the battle for Severodonetsk. The ongoing urban combat in the city is one of the most difficult battles of the entire war so far.
On June 11, the head of the administration of Severodonetsk, Olexandr Stryuk, said that the Armed Forces of Ukraine control about a third of the town.