The bodies of 44 civilians have been found under the rubble of a five-story residential building in the temporarily occupied town of Izyum in Kharkiv Oblast, the head of Kharkiv Regional Military Administration, Oleh Syniehubov, reported on the Telegram messenger on May 10.
He said that the building had been completely destroyed by enemy artillery shelling in the first ten days of March.
"This is another horrific war crime of the Russian invaders against the civilian population," the governor said.
"We record each (war crime), and they will pay for each one."
Later on national television, Syniehubov said that Izyum remains the hottest spot in Kharkiv Oblast, with fighting continuing there day and night.
He said Ukrainian forces are holding the lines there, but the town has been under Russian occupation for more than two months, and a large number of residential buildings have been destroyed.
"It's impossible to evacuate (people) or deliver humanitarian aid there," the official said.
"Thanks to the remaining locals, one of the (residential) buildings destroyed in March has now been demolished."
According to Syniehubov, it is unknown whether the bodies of those found in the rubble had been in bomb shelters, basements or apartments.
"Unfortunately, there is more than one such building there, but there is no special equipment for clearing the rubble, so everything is done manually and usually not around the clock, but when there is no shelling," he added.