Different scenarios for Bakhmut possible, including capture by enemy, says Donetsk regional governor
According to the head of the Donetsk OVA, now Bakhmut is "holding on" (Photo:Yan Dobronosov/Reuters)
It is possible that Russian invasion forces will manage to capture Bakhmut, Donetsk regional governor Pavlo Kyrylenko said in an interview with Radio Liberty on Feb. 6.
"We do not rule out any scenarios,” Kyrylenko stated, commenting on the threat of the capture of the Donbas town.
“But we act exclusively vertically. All military personnel are on the defense lines. And all maximum measures are being taken to prevent this from happening."
The governor also stressed that Bakhmut is "holding on" now.
However, the main priority for the command is the life and health of the Ukrainian military, and "no one will use the defenders as cannon fodder," said Kyrylenko.
"We are doing everything possible to destroy the enemy as much as possible so that its offensive elan is slacked," he added.
Bakhmut remains one of the hottest spots on the front line, where the fiercest fighting continues. According to the Defense Ministry, last week Russian troops threw all their forces into breaking through and surrounding Bakhmut.
On Feb. 3, Zelenskyy said that Ukrainian defenders do not intend to surrender the town.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News