No threat of attack on capital from Belarus now, but army and defenses prepared, says Kyiv commander

7 January, 07:09 PM
Oleksandr Pavlyuk (Photo:screenshot of the video Military Television of Ukraine / YouTube)

Oleksandr Pavlyuk (Photo:screenshot of the video Military Television of Ukraine / YouTube)

There is currently no immediate threat of another attack by Russia on the Ukrainian capital Kyiv from Belarus, Commander of the Forces and Means of Defense of Kyiv, Lieutenant General Oleksandr Pavlyuk has said.

The enemy has neither the necessary forces nor the means to launch such an attack, Pavlyuk said in an interview with Ukrainian national broadcaster Suspilne, published on Jan. 7.

“There are certain groups on the territory that is the border between Ukraine and Belarus. But, given our potential, it is unlikely that they will succeed,” Pavlyuk said.

Video of day

“All that is being done now (by the enemy) is containing our forces on the northern border so that we cannot transfer them to the east,” he said.

The lieutenant general noted that the Russian military units at the Belarusian training grounds are gradually occupying Belarus – “most likely, for a long time.”

“We are considering possible options for aggression in the coming months,” Pavlyuk added.

“But for this, (the enemy has to) transfer the appropriate forces and means, which are now being revived by Russia at their training grounds. So far, we do not see such intentions, but we are preparing for them.”

The general said that the Ukrainian Armed Forces were constantly monitoring the movement of the Russian army from the training grounds in Belarus, and the Ukrainian army group on the border with Belarus is ready to meet any attack by the enemy.

“There are several lines of defense around Kyiv with a total length of about a thousand kilometers. A powerful defense system has been created there on the basis of professional positions and long-lasting structures,” Pavlyuk said.

In an interview in December with UK news magazine the Economist, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valeriy Zaluzhnyy said that the Russian Federation might launch a new offensive in February.

The offensive may not take place in Donbas, but in the direction of Kyiv from Belarus, said Zaluzhnyy.

However, he also said he does not rule out an attack coming from the south.

Spokesman of the State Border Service Andriy Demchenko said on Jan. 6 that the situation on the border with Belarus remains under control, and that Ukrainian border guards have not detected the movement of enemy equipment or personnel near the border.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X