Number of injured in Russian attack on Voznesensk grows to 14, says Mykolayiv governor

21 August, 02:20 PM
Russian troops hit a multi-story residential building in Voznesensk on August 20 (Photo:State Emergency Service of Ukraine)

Russian troops hit a multi-story residential building in Voznesensk on August 20 (Photo:State Emergency Service of Ukraine)

The number of people injured after Russian invasion forces shelled a high-rise building in the town of Voznesensk in Mykolayiv Oblast on Aug. 20 has risen to 14, Mykolayiv Regional Governor Vitaliy Kim said in a Telegram post on Aug. 21.

He said three adults and two children were still in hospital.

“The attack caused damage to structural elements from the first to the fifth floor of the five-story building, as well as the collapse of balconies and broken windows,” Kim said.

The governor added that about five one-story buildings had been damaged in the city as a result of the shelling.

Видео дня

Civilian areas of Mykolayiv city and oblast, close to Russian-occupied parts of Ukraine, are regularly subjected to shelling and missile attacks.

Throughout Ukraine, Russian forces have been targeting civilian infrastructure, including schools, universities, kindergartens, maternity hospitals and residential buildings, with tank fire, artillery, and rockets.

During the full-scale invasion, the Russian military has committed atrocities against civilians by deliberately targeting densely populated areas across Ukraine. Some of the worst attacks were recorded in Mariupol, Kramatorsk, Chasiv Yar, Kremenchuk and Vinnytsya.

The Russian army is also suspected of committing massacres of civilians in towns in Kyiv Oblast that were under Russian occupation in late-February to March, including Irpin, Bucha, Hostomel, and Borodyanka.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X