Only 10% of Luhansk Oblast remains under Ukrainian control, says regional governor

16 May, 03:01 PM
The streets of Sievierodonetsk, Luhansk region, destroyed as a result of Russian attacks, April 16, 2022 (Photo:REUTERS / Serhii Nuzhnenko)

The streets of Sievierodonetsk, Luhansk region, destroyed as a result of Russian attacks, April 16, 2022 (Photo:REUTERS / Serhii Nuzhnenko)

Only about 10% of Luhansk Oblast remains under Ukrainian government control following Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in late February, head of Luhansk Oblast State Administration Serhiy Haidai said on May 16.

As of early March, the figure was about 30%, he said. Before Russia’s full-scale invasion, Ukraine controlled about 60% of Luhansk Oblast, the rest having been occupied by Russia since 2014.

"Under our control – the vicinity of Rubizhne; Lysychansk, Sievierodonetsk, plus villages and towns in some communities,” Haidai said in a post on social media.

Видео дня

“(These are) the Hirska community and the territory along the Lysychansk-Bakhmut road to the border with Donetsk region."

The most dangerous area in Luhansk Oblast is near Severodonetsk, from Popasna and Bilohorivka (the Lysychansk-Bakhmut road). A breakthrough here by Russian troops may allow the invaders to encircle the oblast, Haidai said.

Fighting is currently underway in villages near Sievierodonetsk, he said.

The enemy shelled one of the buildings of Sievierodonetsk’s hospital on May 15, causing a fire. Previously, the hospital had 300 beds to treat patients, now there are only 100 (there are still 10,000 people in the city and another 5,000 in surrounding villages).

The regional center is still under fire, but evacuations from there are continuing.

On May 15, 10 people were taken out of Sievierodonetsk by the patrol police. The police vehicle they were in came under Russian fire, but fortunately no one was injured.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

Show more news
X