Russian troops are aiming to seize all of Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts in next few months, warns military intel
The Russian invaders are preparing for a new offensive (Photo:Міноборони України/Facebook)
Russian dictator Vladimir Putin has ordered his troops to seize the entirety of Ukraine’s Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts by March, Ukrainian military intelligence representative Andriy Chernyak told the Kyiv Post newspaper on Feb. 1.
He claimed that Ukraine posseses evidence of Russian preparations for a new massive offensive in the east of Ukraine.
"We observe how Russian occupying forces are pulling the assault groups, military units, equipment and ammunition to the east (of Ukraine),” he explained.
“According to Ukraine's defense intelligence, Putin has ordered the seizure of the entirety of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts by March.”
He added that Russia is using Belarusian territory to train newly mobilized soldiers, but it does not have enough forces and equipment to launch an assault on Ukraine from that direction in the coming weeks.
"As for now, there are no real combat groups,” Chernyak said.
“There is no threat that Belarus will be involved directly into the Russian invasion of Ukraine. However, we have to take these risks into account.”
Ukraine's Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov has claimed earlier that Russian occupiers are preparing a new assault from two directions.
"It could be Donbas and it could be the southern direction, as well," he said.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News