Russian MoD admits abandoning Kharkiv Oblast

11 September, 06:36 PM
Russian forces retreat from Kharkiv Oblast, leaving their equipment (Photo:CinC AF of Ukraine/Telegram)

Russian forces retreat from Kharkiv Oblast, leaving their equipment (Photo:CinC AF of Ukraine/Telegram)

Russian forces have withdrawn from almost all areas they held in Kharkiv Oblast, as seen on maps published by Russian Defense Ministry on Sept. 11.

There were no corresponding confirmations from Ukrainian official sources, but the development suggests Ukraine is about to regain control over a number of settlements, including Vovchansk, which is right next to the Russian border.

On Sept. 10, the Russian ministry said it’s pulling forces from around Izyum, allegedly to reinforce the Donetsk Oblast front.

Видео дня

According to Luhansk Oblast governor Serhiy Hayday, there are still isolated Russian units trapped in Izyum. They have refused to surrender so far.

In just several days, a sweeping Ukrainian counteroffensive collapsed the Russian front in Kharkiv Oblast, liberating over 30 settlements in the region.

Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valerii Zaluzhnyi said on Sept. 11 that Ukraine has reclaimed more than 3,000 square kilometers of its territory in the oblast, with Ukrainian units now 50 kilometers away from the Russian border.

The operation to strangle and wither away Russian forces in Kherson is also underway.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X