Russian forces have once again attacked a civilian evacuation convoy near the town of Vasylivka, in Zaporizhzhya Oblast, Melitopol Mayor Ivan Fedorov said in a Telegram post on Sep. 1.
“Another evacuation convoy was attacked in Vasylivka yesterday,” said Fedorov.
“A shell landed at gas station; thankfully, it wasn’t as busy as it usually is. The town itself was shelled afterwards. The area next to a filtration camp was hit.”
According to Fedorov, it looked like this was a mortar attack.
“(The enemy attack) was cynical: Russian troops let civilians travel via an unsecured route, themselves hiding away in safety,” Fedorov added.
Previously, Russian forces shelled a civilian convoy in “no man’s land” in Zaporizhzhia Oblast, on Aug. 30.
Vasylivka is the only point where Ukrainian citizens are permitted to cross from the Russian-occupied parts of Ukraine’s Kherson and Zaporizhzhya into Ukrainian controlled territory.