Ukraine braces for renewed Russian offensive later in February – FT
Ukrainian military is firing at the Russian invaders (Photo:General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine)
A new large-scale offensive by the Russian invaders will begin within the next 10 days, before Ukraine receives new supplies of weapons, UK newspaper the Financial Times reported on Feb. 6.
The publication cited an unnamed official to the Armed Forces that Ukraine “received very reliable intelligence about Russia’s intentions” of launching an offensive.
Analysts said that the main efforts will be concentrated in the regions of Kreminna and Lyman in Ukraine’s largely Russian-occupied Luhansk Oblast, since the occupiers have been gathering large forces in these areas for several weeks. This is due to the order of dictator Vladimir Putin to seize Donbas by March.
“This should be taken seriously,” said the publication’s source in the Armed Forces.
“These are real mechanized brigades, even if they are less combat-ready than they were at the beginning of the war. They strengthened airborne and naval units. These are not bus drivers and teachers.”
On Feb. 5, Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov stated that Ukraine does not rule out a new offensive by Russia in February, but so far, no strike formations have been detected.
“Of course, we still expect possible offensives from the Russians, because it’s February, they like symbolism. Feb. 24 will mark a year since this invasion began, the open stage of the Ukrainian-Russian war, which began in 2014. Therefore, we expect this pressure,” he said.
According to Bloomberg, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin expects that a new offensive by the Russian army in February-March 2023 will allow the occupiers to seize the initiative in the armed forces.
Meanwhile, he is determined to wage war against Ukraine for many years.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News