Ukrainian Border Service sees no sign of strike groups forming in Belarus or Russia

11 July, 07:33 PM
Military

Military "training" in Belarus (Photo:Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Belarus/Facebook)

There is no sign that either Belarus or Russia are forming strike groups to attack Ukraine from the north, State Border Service spokesman Andriy Demchenko said during a briefing on July 11.

“We’re not observing any changes in the number or composition (of army units) at the moment,”he said.

There were also no signs of the formation of offensive groups, he added.

However, Demchenko said Russia was continuing to attack with artillery and launch missiles into Ukraine from its territory.

Видео дня

“In the last week alone, about 130 of these attacks on our territory were recorded,” he said.

Earlier, Belarus announced the start of "mobilization exercises" near the border with Ukraine. Initially, the exercises were supposed to last from June 22 to July 1, but later it was announced that they had been extended until at least July 9.

Secretary of the National Security Council Oleksiy Danilov has previously stated that the Ukrainian authorities didn’t expect an attack from the territory of Belarus, and the representatives of the neighboring country had assured the government nothing of the kind would happen.

At the end of May, the Belarusian Defense Ministry announced that, on the orders of Belarusiandictator Lukashenko, a "people's militia" would be created. On June 7, the Belarusian army began “combat readiness” exercises. The regime of Lukashenko, who illegally remained in power in Belarus after rigging the country’s 2020 presidential election, has begun training on "the transition from peacetime to wartime," according to Ukrainian intelligence.

UK intelligence believes that Lukashenko is balancing between supporting the Russian war against Ukraine and the desire to avoid direct military involvement – which carries the risk of Western sanctions, Ukrainian retaliation, and possible discontent in the Belarusian Armed Forces.

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on June 6 said that the risks of another invasion of Ukraine from Belarus are minimal, but that Ukraine is preparing for all possible scenarios.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X