US President Joe Biden has said the United States will increase its military presence in Europe, UK newspaper The Guardian reported on June 29.
"At some point, Putin shattered peace in Europe... (The United States and its allies) are stepping up, proving that NATO is more needed now than it ever has been and it’s important as it ever has been," Biden said.
He said it was planned:
- to establish a permanent headquarters of the US Army V Corps in Poland;
- deploy an additional rotational brigade in Romania;
- deploy two additional F-35 fighter jet squadrons in the UK;
- enhance rotational deployments in the Baltic states;
- deploy two additional naval destroyers in Spain;
- deploy more defense and other capabilities in Germany and Italy.