Zaluzhnyi says he ‘doesn’t need hundreds of thousands more’ to defeat Russia
Zaluzhnyi stressed that Ukrainian troops lack military equipment (Photo:Міністерство оборони України / facebook)
Ukraine has enough personnel to defend itself from Russian aggression, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Valerii Zaluzhnyi, said in an interview with UK newspaper The Economist on Dec. 15.
Commenting on the probability of a new wave of mobilization in Ukraine, Zaluzhnyi said he doesn't need "hundreds of thousands more."
"We are already conducting it (mobilization - ed.) as it is. We have enough people, and I can clearly see what I have. I have enough. I don’t need hundreds of thousands more," the Commander-in-Chief said.
However, he said the Ukrainian army is experiencing a military equipment shortage.
"We need tanks, we need (armoured personnel carriers), infantry fighting vehicles. And we need ammunition. Please note, I’m not talking about F-16s right now," he said.
On Dec. 14, the Head of the Personnel Department of the Staff of the Ground Forces Command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Roman Horbach, said in an interview with NV that mobilization may be stepped up due to changes in the situation at the front.
However, he added that so far, nothing is happening that would require the increased recruitment of a large number of conscripts.
Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar said it would be meaningless to predict mobilization because it depends on the circumstances of the war.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News