10 Polish MiG-29s, Zelenskyy on Remembrance Day, aftermath of massive drone raid
Your slice of the headlines in Ukraine. Daily. Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
● Poland handed over 10 MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine, minister says
Warsaw has already transferred 10 Soviet-era MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine, Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak said during a joint briefing with his Canadian counterpart, Anita Anand, on May 8.
● Ankara rejected US proposal to transfer Russian S-400 air defense system from Turkey to Ukraine
The United States proposed that Turkey send Ukraine the S-400 air defense system it purchased from Russia, but Ankara refused, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said, Turkish news agency Anadolu reported on May 7.
● Russia seeks to manufacture Iranian drones in Belarus, Kyiv says
Russia is exploring the possibility of setting up production of Iranian-designed Shahed kamikaze drones in Belarus, Ukraine’s National Resistance Center reported on May 8.
● Zelenskyy addresses nation on occasion of the Day of Remembrance and Victory over Nazism
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has made an address to the people of Ukraine on the occasion of the Day of Remembrance and Victory over Nazism in the Second World War of 1939-1945. NV reproduces the address in English here.
● Prigozhin says Surovikin mediating between mercenaries and Russian Defense Ministry
Russian General Sergei Surovikin, who was removed late last year as commander of the Kremlin’s Ukraine invasion force, is helping arrange the supply of ammunition to Wagner mercenaries in Bakhmut, the company’s founder said on May 7.
● Russia using drone attacks to probe air defenses ahead of missile strikes, Kyiv says
Recent Russian drone attacks on Kyiv and other cities are meant to probe Ukraine’s air defense for vulnerabilities, to be later exploited by cruise missile strikes, Operational Command South spokesperson Nataliya Humeniuk told Ukrainian TV broadcasters on May 8.
● Brussels focused on closing loopholes in sanctions against Russia
The upcoming 11th package of EU sanctions against Russia will aim to eliminating loopholes in existing trade restrictions, CNN reported on May 8.
● Residents of building hit in Russian attack on Kyiv talk of experiences
The owner of the most damaged apartment in Kyiv's Sviatoshynskyi District, together with his wife, was in another part of the house at the moment debris from a shot-down Shahed kamikaze drone smashed into the building’s facade, Ukrainian TSN news reported on May 8.
● Klitschko says overnight air raid was largest assault on Kyiv by Russia since start of invasion
Russia launched the most massive attack on Kyiv since the beginning of the full-scale war in the early hours of May 8, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said on the Kyiv municipal television channel.
● Ukrnafta plans to launch gas station network, double production
The Ukrnafta national oil company plans to launch a network of 1,200 gas stations and double oil production, Ukrainian news outlet LIGA.net reported on May 8, with reference to a Finance Ministry’s conclusion on the company’s draft financial plan for 2023.
We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News