Exclusive profile of Budanov, another Russian ship struck, what the F-16 means for Ukraine
Your slice of the headlines in Ukraine. Daily. Friday, May 26, 2023.
● The rise of Military Intelligence chief Kyrylo Budanov — NV profile
How Kyrylo Budanov went from the paratroopers to the recon scouts, the wounds he has sustained, and why he constantly rushes into the fray – the life story of the head of Ukraine’s HUR with all the details.
● Who is Ron DeSantis and what his presidency could mean for Ukraine
Ron DeSantis, the 44-year-old Governor of Florida, is widely regarded as the strongest competitor to Donald Trump within the Republican Party. He has officially announced his decision to seek the Republican nomination for the 2024 U.S. presidential elections.
● Ukrainian pilots to train on Sweden’s Gripen jets, says minister
Ukrainian pilots will have the opportunity to undertake basic training on the fourth-generation Saab JAS 39 Gripen jet fighters, Swedish Defense Minister Pål Jonson said during a visit to Ukraine on May 25, as reported by Swedish TV channel TV4.
● Tears of joy – Ukraine returns 106 Bakhmut defenders from captivity, many of whom were thought missing
Ukraine returned 106 more defenders from Russian captivity, namely soldiers who fought near Bakhmut, the head of the President’s Office Andriy Yermak reported on Telegram on May 25.
● Video shows Russia’s Ivan Khurs ship attacked by drone
A video of a drone attack on the Russian Black Sea Fleet’s Ivan Khurs reconnaissance ship near the Bosporus Strait early on May 24 appeared on several Telegram messengers on May 25.
● Over half of Ukraine’s adult population use Diia for online government services, 70% from their cellphones
The Diia application, which enables Ukrainians to access government services online, has been installed by over 19 million citizens, Vice PM and Minister of Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov announced at the Diia in DC summit in Washington, reported Interfax-Ukraine on May 25.
● US will investigate whether Western military aid was used in Belgorod raid
Washington will verify whether U.S.-supplied equipment was indeed used during the incursion of the Freedom of Russia Legion and the Russian Volunteer Corps (RVC) into Russia’s Belgorod Oblast, White House National Security spokesman John Kirby said on May 24.
● Russia still has plenty of missiles to spare, expert warns
Despite having spent over a thousand long-range missiles of various types to bombard Ukraine over the course of the war, Russia still has more than enough to continue attempting to strike targets all across the country, military expert Mykhailo Zhirokhov said in an interview with NV on May 24.
● White House’s ‘red lines’ disappear after Ukraine shoots down six Kinzhals over Kyiv, says expert
The White House has stopped expressing concern about the escalation of Russia’s war against Ukraine after Ukrainian air defense successfully shot down six Russian Kinzhal missiles over Kyiv, Defence Express expert Ivan Kyrychevskyi told Radio NV in an interview on May 25.
● Don’t miss: What Does the F-16 Mean For Ukraine? — opinion
Oleksiy Melnyk on the significance of the new Western fighter jets set to be delivered to Ukraine
We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News