Shocking report on Prigozhin, Zelensky Europe trip yields progress, Firtash indicted
Your slice of the headlines in Ukraine. Daily. Tuesday, May 16, 2023
● Prigozhin ‘offered to reveal Russian positions if Ukrainian defenders withdraw from Bakhmut’ — WP
A leaked Pentagon memo says that the leader of the Wagner mercenary company, Yevgeny Prigozhin, offered in late January to disclose to Ukraine Russian troop positions in exchange for the withdrawal of Ukrainian soldiers from Bakhmut, U.S. media report.
● UK to send hundreds of long-range attack drones to Ukraine
The United Kingdom will send hundreds of new long-range attack drones with a range of over 200 kilometers to Ukraine, the UK government said in a statement on May 15.
● Russian missile attack demolishes humanitarian aid warehouse in Ternopil
The Russian missile attack on Ternopil on May 13 completely demolished a warehouse of the "Light of the Reformation" charitable organization, its head Ivan Hontar wrote on Facebook.
● Zelenskyy’s Europe trip secures more military aid, makes progress on fighter jets
In his evening address on May 15, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy summarized the results of his visits to Italy, Germany, France, and the UK.
● Abrams tanks for training Ukrainian crews delivered to Germany
The United States has delivered 31 Abrams main battle tanks to Germany, which will be used for training Ukrainian military personnel, U.S. Defense Department spokesman Patrick Ryder said at a press briefing on May 15.
● Belarusian dictator Lukashenko very ill, confirms Russian official
Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko is very ill, Deputy Chairman of the Russian State Duma Committee for the CIS, Konstantin Zatulin, told the Russian online publication Podyom on May 14.
● The Hague to set up register of damage caused to Ukraine by Russian aggression
A special register of damage will be established in The Hague, the Netherlands, to record the damage caused by Russian troops to Ukraine since the beginning of the full-scale invasion, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in Brussels on May 15.
● Ukraine’s security services charge exiled Ukrainian oligarch Firtash with crime
Ukraine’s SBU security service and the Economic Security Bureau of Ukraine (ESBU) have charged exiled Ukrainian oligarch Dmytro Firtash with committing a crime, NV sources in law enforcement agencies said on May 15.
● Macron says France ready to train Ukrainian pilots
France could start training Ukrainian fighter pilots, French President Emmanuel Macron said in an interview with TF1 television channel on May 15, according to Le Monde.
● After losing its best pilots in Ukraine, Russia training new ones, but not nearly as good, air force says
Russia has lost many of its best pilots in the full-scale war waged against Ukraine, but continues to train new ones, the spokesperson for the Air Force of Ukraine, Yuriy Ihnat, said on national television on May 15.
We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News