Ukrainian Bayraktar downed over downtown, Zelensky at Hague, ISW on Kremlin explosion
Your slice of the headlines in Ukraine. Daily. Friday, May 5, 2023.
● Ukrainian forces down Ukrainian Bayraktar which went out of control over Kyiv
A Ukrainian Bayraktar TB2 military drone which went out of control was downed over Kyiv on May 4, Air Force spokesperson, Yuriy Ihnat, said on Ukrainian national television.
● Ukraine understands it will not join NATO during war, but wants clear signals, Zelenskyy says
While Ukraine understands it cannot join NATO during an active war, Kyiv hopes to receive a guarantee of membership from allies after the conflict ends, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said at a joint press conference with Dutch PM Mark Rutte and Belgian PM Alexander De Croo on May 4.
● Ukrainian soldier reports on situation in Bakhmut, and about enemy attacks
It's "hotter than hell" in the front-line town of Bakhmut right now, as Russian occupiers continue to attack, a grenadier of the 5th Separate Assault Brigade, Yuriy “Mamai” Syrotyuk explained on national television on May 4.
● In The Hague, Zelenskyy calls for and tribunal and trial for Putin, Russia to pay compensation to Ukraine
A full-fledged tribunal should be convened to try Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, a war crimes suspect wanted by the International Criminal Court, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said during his speech at the court’s headquarters in The Hague during a visit to the Netherlands on May 4.
● Ukraine's international reserves reach the highest point in 11 years
Ukraine's international reserves was USD 35.9 billion as of May 1, reaching the highest level in the past eleven years, the press office of the National Bank of Ukraine (NBU) wrote on May 4.
● Death toll from Russian attacks rises to 23, three-day mourning period and curfew in region
The number of people killed in the Russian shelling of Kherson Oblast on May 3 has increased to 23, the region’s governor, Oleksandr Prokudin reported on Telegram early on May 4.
● Russian warships approached Nord Stream pipelines ‘at least three times before explosions’
Russian navy ships able to perform underwater operations were near Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines shortly before the explosions, a team of journalists from Scandinavian countries said in a report on the results of their joint investigation on May 3.
● Why the Kremlin may have staged a false flag drone attack on itself — ISW
Russia may have orchestrated a drone attack on the Kremlin in order to bring the war closer to the public and to set the stage for a wider mobilisation campaign, the Institute for the Study of War suggested in its update on the situation in Ukraine as of May 3.
● Zaluzhnyi’s adviser on why Ukrainian counteroffensive will shock the world — interview
NV sat down for an interview with Dan Rice, President of the American University Kyiv (AUK) and advisor to the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Valerii Zaluzhnyi, covering a range of topics – from Kyiv’s much-anticipated counteroffensive to Russia-China relations.
● Rare glimpse into how Ukraine safeguards its HIMARS artillery
Ukraine’s Defense Ministry has released a video of one of the secure storage facilities protecting U.S.-supplied HIMARS rocket artillery, which are highly valuable targets for the Russian military. The footage was posted on Twitter on May 3.
We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News