Moscow faces second night of drone attacks as four airports restrict flights
A drone flying toward Moscow on June 19, 2026 (Photo: Astra)
Moscow and several Russian regions faced drone attacks for a
second consecutive night, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said, reporting that at
least 25 drones had targeted the capital.
The attacks prompted temporary restrictions at Vnukovo,
Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo and Zhukovsky airports in the Moscow area. Russia’s
Federal Air Transport Agency, Rosaviatsia, later lifted the restrictions at
Domodedovo and Zhukovsky.
Domodedovo began handling arrivals and departures subject to
clearance from “the relevant authorities” because of temporary airspace
restrictions. The measures came amid large-scale drone attacks.
Russia’s Defense Ministry claimed on Aug. 18 that its air
defenses had shot down more than 1,600 drones within 24 hours, along with 10
guided bombs and two HIMARS rockets.
The previous record for drones deployed in an attack on
Russia was set on Aug. 16. Russian authorities claimed that they had “shot down
1,478 drones” within 24 hours.
A Wildberries warehouse in Moscow Oblast was hit during the
overnight attack and caught fire. Moscow Oblast Gov. Andrei Vorobyov confirmed
the incident, described the attack as “large-scale” and claimed that 150 drones
had been shot down in the region.
For the first time in nearly 20 years, Moscow canceled the
large military band parade known as the Spasskaya Tower International Military
Music Festival. The four-day event had been scheduled to begin on Aug. 21.
Several Moscow districts lost power after a fire broke out
at a combined heat and power plant. Widespread disruptions later affected
internet service and websites across Russia, The Moscow Times reported. Most
complaints came from Moscow and St. Petersburg.
The military war may be swinging in our favor, but the information war continues.
Just as an army needs soldiers, so does a free society need its journalists to ensure that people have access to honest, trustworthy voices to understand the world around them.
For the past five years, The New Voice of Ukraine has been working tirelessly to push back against Russian narratives and defend democracy. But we cannot do it alone.
Please consider supporting us on Patreon for just $5 a month – your donation does directly to supporting journalists and ensuring that this front of the infowar says solid and defended.
Thank you.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News