Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko said that the West is allegedly trying to “use” Ukraine against Belarus, but Ukraine is “holding its ground so far,” Belarusian state-controlled newspaper BELTA reported on Jan. 19.
Lukashenko said the security of Belarus is “even more important” today because of the “plans” of its Western neighbors.
“Not only Ukraine. They are also trying to use Ukraine against Belarus,” Lukashenko said during a meeting with the Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.
“But what amazes and pleasantly surprises me is that Ukraine is still holding on. It does not react to provocations against Belarus. Although it is actively encouraged by our western neighbors. You also know who (I’m talking about).”
Lukashenko appeared to be referring to Poland, which he has frequently accused, without evidence, of plotting to attack his regime.
Meanwhile, the commander of the Joint Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Serhiy Nayev, on Dec. 18 said the two dictators of Belarus and Russia planned to discuss the wider involvement of Belarus in the war.
Lukashenko and Putin held talks in Minsk on Dec. 19. A few days later, on Dec. 24, the self-proclaimed president of Belarus flew to Moscow.
On Dec. 23, the U.S. think tank Institute for the Study of War (ISW), reported that the Russian Federation has been creating conditions for a new invasion of northern Ukraine since October.
However, there is still no evidence of any active preparations of a strike force in Belarus for an offensive.
The Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valeriy Zaluzhnyi in an interview with UK news magazine the Economist in December said that Russia may launch a new major offensive in February 2023. These actions may start from the territory of Belarus in the direction of Kyiv, Zaluzhnyi said.
In turn, the spokesman of the State Border Service of Ukraine, Andriy Demchenko, reported on Dec. 27 that no offensive groups are forming on the territory of Belarus, and that Ukraine is monitoring the situation.