New wave of mobilization may be declared in Ukraine in 2023, says defense ministry
Ukrainian servicemen (Photo:Генштаб ЗСУ / Facebook)
A new wave of mobilization is to be announced in 2023 to replace Ukrainian soldiers fallen or injured in battle, Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar told TSN news program on Dec. 14.
Malyar said the Ukrainian army also needs to replace soldiers who have been defending the country since the beginning of the war.
"There is a need for the service members who were injured in the war to recuperate,” said Malyar.
“These things are difficult to predict because mobilization depends on the needs of the war. In addition, there are losses and the need to replace them – even those people who are now fighting need to be replaced.”
The Deputy Defense Minister added that a new draft law on mobilization will be publicly discussed from the beginning of the New Year.
On Dec. 14, Roman Horbach, the Head of the Personnel Department of the Staff of the Ground Forces Command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, said in an interview with NV that mobilization may be stepped up due to changes in the situation at the front.
However, so far, there are no such developments that require the increased recruitment of a large number of conscripts, he said.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News