Russian invaders plan to execute two Azov defenders – media

11 July, 12:36 PM
Photo of Azov fighters who are going to be executed (Photo:t.me/rustroyka1945)

Photo of Azov fighters who are going to be executed (Photo:t.me/rustroyka1945)

Russia reportedly plans to execute two Azov Regiment fighters, even though no "official" unequivocal reason for the execution has been announced yet, the Ukrainska Pravda online newspaper reported on July 11, with reference to intelligence.

It noted that Russian propagandists are also spreading such reports. Azov Regiment soldiers Mykola (aka Frost, surname unknown) and Kostiantyn Nikitenko (aka Fox) are facing execution.

According to Ukrainska Pravda's intelligence source, the defenders were taken out of the penal colony to an unknown location.

Видео дня

Russian propagandists report different versions of events: Some say that the Ukrainian soldiers were sentenced on July 9, others claim that the trial will take place in the near future.

There are also various reasons given for their execution. First, the Russians said that the Azov fighters had allegedly "fired on civilians" in Mariupol. Later, they stated that Ukrainian soldiers allegedly attacked a convoy with wounded invaders.

However, no evidence or details of the alleged offenses have been provided.

Mariupol defenders in captivity: what is known

Ukrainian defenders at the Azovstal steelworks in the port city of Mariupol held their positions under full encirclement as heavy fighting took place. From the beginning of the full-scale Russian invasion, they are estimated by Ukraine’s military to have killed 6,000 invaders. Russian forces launched dozens of strikes at Azovstal per day, using aircraft, tanks and heavy artillery.

About 1,000 Ukrainian defenders remained at Azovstal, of whom 600 were injured and 40 were in a critical condition. They repeatedly asked for to be evacuated and reported that they were short of food, water, medicine and ammunition.

The Ukrainian General Staff on May 16 said that the commanders of the units that were at Azovstal had been given an order from the top military leadership to save the lives of their subordinate personnel.

Prior to this, the Azov Regiment issued a statement saying that the defenders of Mariupol had complied with the order and hoped for the support of the Ukrainian people.

On the night of May 17, Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar said that 53 seriously injured defenders of Mariupol were taken to a medical center in occupied Novoazovsk for treatment, and another 211 were evacuated to occupied Olenivka through a humanitarian corridor.

The evacuation from Azovstal lasted for several days. It was accompanied by the International Committee of the Red Cross, which recorded the personal data of the Ukrainian military.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on June 6 that more than 2,500 defenders of Mariupol from the Azovstal plant are in Russian captivity. According to Ukrainska Pravda, 2,449 defenders left the territory of Azovstal, they are being held in the Russian-occupied town of Olenivka in Donetsk Oblast.

According to Malyar, there was no other way to save the heroes from Azovstal.

Zelensky said that the defenders of Mariupol would be released during the PoW exchange procedure.

The Main Directorate of Intelligence of the Defense Ministry is responsible for the liberation of Ukrainian fighters.

Zelensky said that there is no sense for Russia to use torture against the defenders of Mariupol since they have become "public prisoners."

Ukraine returned 210 bodies of soldiers in early June, most of them were defenders of Mariupol. Later, Ukraine received the bodies of another 64 defenders of Azovstal.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X