Russian-occupied Luhansk Oblast faces disaster in winter, says governor

8 September, 01:28 PM
A house destroyed as a result of shelling (Photo:REUTERS/Ammar Awad)

A house destroyed as a result of shelling (Photo:REUTERS/Ammar Awad)

Russian-occupied settlements in Luhansk Oblast will face a disaster in winter due to a lack of utilities, Luhansk Regional Governor Serhiy Hayday said in a Telegram messenger post on Sept. 8.

“The occupied cities of Luhansk Oblast will face a disaster – damaged houses, without heating, windows, ceilings and walls, without the promised electricity and gas,” he said.

According to Hayday, 8.5% of houses in the occupied territories still have to be prepared for winter, but Severodonetsk, Lysychansk, Kreminna and Rubizhne are not even included in the list, so there will be no heating there.

Video of day

The governor said the relevant “achievements” had been reported by the so-called “Ministry of Construction and Housing of the Luhansk People’s Republic.”

He added that Russian invaders had not prepared any programs for the decentralization of heating.

“Because their implementation requires a reliable electricity supply, which the residents of Luhansk Oblast have not seen since mid-May – they have not seen any at all,” Hayday said.

“And the implementation of such programs also requires money, which is not available in the occupation local budgets.”

According to the regional governor, the Russians also have no money for promised compensation payments for damaged property.

“No, of course, if you stand in a queue for many days, they give out a certain amount of rubles, but it’s barely enough to replace the windows,” he said.

“And only some people, the most purposeful and resilient ones, received this money.”

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X