Another Russian attack leaves Kharkiv with no power, water, or mass transit

12 September, 06:44 PM
Rescuers eliminate the consequences of the Russian night attack on Kharkiv (Photo:State Emergency Service of Ukraine)

Rescuers eliminate the consequences of the Russian night attack on Kharkiv (Photo:State Emergency Service of Ukraine)

Russia has launched another missile strike at Kharkiv – the second one in 24 hours, disrupting the city’s power and water supply, and knocking much of its mass transit out of service, Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov said in a Telegram post on Sept. 12.

This latest attack has left one person dead, and four wounded.

Kharkiv Metro, which operates the city’s metro system, said all of its trains have stopped.

“Transit via Kharkiv Metro has been temporarily halted due to technical difficulties,” the agency stated. Another official said that passengers are being safely escorted through the tunnels to the nearest stations.

Video of day

The rest of Kharkiv’s electricity-powered transit has also stopped, Ukrainian broadcaster Suspilne reported.

Russian forces previously hit Kharkiv with missiles late in the evening on Sept. 11, crippling a major power plant and killing two employees at the site.

The shock to Ukraine’s power grid has caused blackouts across Kharkiv, Sumy, Poltava, Donetsk, and Kharkiv oblasts, although power supply to most of affected areas was restored several hours later.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X