Ukraine’s Reintegration Ministry names three more oblasts to be subject to compulsory evacuation

26 August, 08:49 PM
A boy looks out of a train window in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Oblast, on July 20 (Photo:REUTERS/Gleb Garanich)

A boy looks out of a train window in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Oblast, on July 20 (Photo:REUTERS/Gleb Garanich)

Along with Donetsk Oblast, parts of Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhya and Mykolayiv oblasts will also be subject to a mandatory evacuation, Ukraine’s Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories Iryna Vereshchuk said on Ukrainian national television on Aug. 26.

She stressed that mandatory evacuation had so far been announced only in Donetsk Oblast. Over 10,000 people, one-third of whom are children, have been evacuated since early August.

“Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhya, and Mykolaiv oblasts (are next for evacuation),” Vereshchuk said.

“I’m not talking about the entire oblast, but some parts will require a mandatory evacuation. We’re also preparing for it.”

Video of day

The official reiterated that the state provides evacuees with free transportation, accommodation, food, medical services and “everything necessary to survive the winter.”

In addition, all the evacuees will receive financial support.

“If it’s a mandatory evacuation, UAH 2,200 ($60) (is provided) per person immediately after the arrival of the train or other vehicle used during the evacuation,” Vereshchuk said.

“Also UAH 2,000 ($55) for each adult, and UAH 3,000 ($82) for each child or person with disabilities. Every person receives the necessary minimum from the review, considering that housing and food will be free.”

Earlier, the Ukrainian government decided to order a mandatory evacuation of the government-controlled areas of Donetsk Oblast due to constant Russian shelling and the impossibility of ensuring heating in the region during the cold season.

Despite the evacuation being mandatory, the government cannot force residents to leave against their will. Donbas residents who refuse the evacuation order are required to sign a consent form confirming their understanding of the consequences of war.

The Cabinet of Ministers on July 29 created a coordination headquarters to manage resettlement for evacuated residents.

Earlier on Aug. 25, Vereshchuk said about 35,000 people had been evacuated from four Ukrainian oblasts since early August.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X