Ukraine may partially evacuate Schastia due to constant shelling by Russian proxy forces
Ukraine may partially evacuate the civilian population in the town of Schastia if shelling by Russian proxy forces intensifies, Luhansk Governor Serhiy Hayday told the Dom (House) television channel on Feb. 23.
According to Hayday, the evacuation plan has been drafted in advance and was agreed upon with the country’s leadership.
At first, the residents of Schastia will be evacuated to the government-controlled territories of Luhansk Oblast, and later, if necessary, to other Ukrainian regions.
Hayday said life in Luhansk Oblast was going on as usual, except for in the settlements in the war zone, where schools, in particular, had had to switch to remote learning.
Early on Feb. 23, Hayday wrote on Facebook that Russian forces had used Grad missile systems to attack Schastia, Muratove, Kriakivka, and Novotoshkivske in Luhansk Oblast.
At the same time, Stanytsia Luhanska, Triokhizbenka, Popasna, Orikhove, Zolote, Troyitske, and Lobacheve came under artillery fire.
The governor added the shelling continued all day and night.
Ukraine’s Joint Forces Operation Headquarters reported on Feb. 23 that 96 violations of the ceasefire agreement by Russia-controlled armed groups had been recorded in the Donbas conflict area on Feb. 22.
One Ukrainian soldier received a fatal wound as a result of shelling. Another six were wounded, with one soldier being taken to hospital.
Shelling and ceasefire violations on the part of the Russian occupiers has significantly increased in recent days, prior to and following Russian recognition of the puppet statelets’ “independence.”
Immediately following the recognition, on Feb. 21, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian troops to invade Ukrainian territory.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News