Ukrainian filmmaker Sentsov wounded in artillery shelling
Oleh Sentsov, the famed Ukrainian filmmaker and former Russian political prisoner, has been wounded in a Russian artillery strike, the filmmaker wrote on Facebook on July 16.
Sentsov’s airborne unit came under enemy artillery fire resulting in three soldiers receiving shrapnel wounds.
Sentsov himself had fragments removed from his face, while smaller pieces in his arm and leg will remain there “forever,” he said in a post.
The filmmaker also posted a photo from an ambulance. During the artillery shelling, the soldiers were in a Bradley fighting vehicle which saved their lives, he added.
“The week didn’t go well,” Sentsov wrote.
“We came under artillery fire on the very first combat sortie after returning, during the landing. Our Bradley saved our lives again. Three were wounded, mostly by fragments, which have already been removed from my face, while small ones in my arm and leg will remain with me forever. The other guys are also doing well – Zaporizhzhya doctors know their business, thank you!”
Last week, Sentsov received a mild concussion. He turned 47 on July 13.
On July 14, he and Ukrainian female writer Oksana Zabuzhko were awarded France’s highest honor – the Legion of Honor.
The military war may be swinging in our favor, but the information war continues.
Just as an army needs soldiers, so does a free society need its journalists to ensure that people have access to honest, trustworthy voices to understand the world around them.
For the past five years, The New Voice of Ukraine has been working tirelessly to push back against Russian narratives and defend democracy. But we cannot do it alone.
Please consider supporting us on Patreon for just $5 a month – your donation does directly to supporting journalists and ensuring that this front of the infowar says solid and defended.
Thank you.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News