US announces $400 military aid package for Ukraine
AN/TWQ-1 Avenger (Photo:joint-forces.com)
In a press release published on Nov. 10, the U.S. Department of Defense has announced a new $400 million package of military aid to Ukraine, which includes Avenger air defense systems and missiles for Hawk anti-air systems.
The package includes:
· Missiles for the Hawk air defense system;
· Four Avenger air defense systems and 192 Stinger surface-to-air missiles;
· Additional ammunition for HIMARS Multiple Launcher Rocket Systems;
· 21,000 155mm artillery shells;
· 500 high-precision guided 155mm artillery shells;
· 10,000 120mm mortar shells;
· 100 HMMWV (Humvee) armored vehicles;
· 400 grenade launchers;
· Small arms, optics, and more than 20 million small arms cartridges;
· Cold weather gear.
The Pentagon specified that missiles for Hawk complexes will complement the recent transfer of these air defense systems from Spain to Ukraine, while Avenger short-range air defense systems will enable Ukraine to secure more of its troops and critical infrastructure from Russian attacks.
Since 2014, the United States has provided more than $21.4 billion in security assistance to Ukraine, and more than $18.6 billion since the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion.
Earlier, Spanish Defense Minister Margarita Robles said that Spain fill send two additional Hawk systems Ukraine’s way, in addition to the four that had already been promised to Kyiv.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News