Russia killed three of its own wounded during Easter ceasefire

12 April, 10:38 PM
The Russians eliminated their wounded who were evacuated from Chasiv Yar (Photo: 24th King Danylo Rifle Brigade / screenshot from video / Telegram)

The Russians eliminated their wounded who were evacuated from Chasiv Yar (Photo: 24th King Danylo Rifle Brigade / screenshot from video / Telegram)

Russian forces killed wounded, unarmed Ukrainian soldiers evacuating from front-line positions in Chasiv Yar, Donetsk Oblast, during a ceasefire, with attackers disguised in civilian clothing, the 24th Separate Mechanized Brigade said on Apr. 12.

The brigade said command decided to conduct a trial evacuation of Russian troops to assess whether it would be safe to evacuate their own soldiers. For this purpose, Russian servicemen captured the day before by fighters of the 24th Separate Mechanized Brigade were dressed in neutral clothing.

According to the brigade, the occupants were moving from the line of contact to the rear without weapons, showing signs of having received medical aid and using sticks for support. However, they were detected and attacked by FPV drones.

Ad

“All three out of three were killed. The evacuation failed. The enemy did not observe the ceasefire,” the 24th brigade said.

Those killed were identified as senior sergeant Stanislav Zhuravlyov (70th motorized rifle division), private Oleksandr Choshev (6th motorized rifle division), and junior sergeant Andrii Zahrebin (26th motorized rifle regiment).

On April 9, Vladimir Putin announced an “Easter ceasefire” in Ukraine from 4:00 p.m. on April 11 until the end of April 12.

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Ukraine was ready to respond symmetrically during the ceasefire and that Russia “has a chance not to resume strikes after Easter.”

Ukraine’s General Staff later said that as of 7:00 a.m. on April 12, 2,299 violations of the Easter ceasefire by Russian forces had been recorded, about 500 of them overnight.

Will you support Ukraine’s free press?

Dear reader, as all news organizations, we must balance the pressures of delivering timely, accurate, and relevant stories with requirements to fund our business operations.

As a Ukrainian-based media, we also have another responsibility – to amplify Ukraine’s voice to the world during the crucial moment of its existence as a political nation.

It’s the support of our readers that lets us continue doing our job. We keep our essential reporting free because we believe in our ultimate purpose: an independent, democratic Ukraine.

If you’re willing to support Ukraine, consider subscribing to our Patreon starting from 5$ per month. We are immensely grateful.

Please help us continue fighting Russian propaganda.

Truth can be hard to tell from fiction these days. Every viewpoint has its audience of backers and supporters, no matter how absurd.

If conscious disinformation is reinforced by state propaganda apparatus and budget, its outcomes may become deadly.

There is no solution to this, other than independent, honest, and accurate reporting.

We remain committed to empowering the Ukrainian voice to push against the muck. If you’re willing to stand up for the truth – consider supporting us on Patreon starting from 5$ per month. Thank you very much.

Will you help tell Ukraine’s story to the world?

Twenty years ago, most people hadn’t even heard of Ukraine. Today, the country is on everyone’s lips and everyone’s headlines. War pushed us on the front page. But there are many other things we do that we are proud of – from music and culture to technology.

We need your help to tell the world Ukrainian story of resilience, joy, and survival. If you’re willing to back our effort, consider supporting us on Patreon starting from 5$ per month. We are immensely grateful.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

Show more news