U.S. Democrats move to impeach Hegseth over actions in Iran war

Nation

7 April, 11:33 AM

Rep. Yassamin Ansari plans to introduce articles of impeachment against Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on April 13 over his actions in the war with Iran, Axios reported, though the effort is unlikely to succeed on Apr. 7.

Ansari said she plans to introduce articles of impeachment next week, accusing Hegseth of repeatedly violating his oath of office and duties under the Constitution.

“Hegseth’s reckless endangerment of American service members and repeated war crimes … are grounds for impeachment and removal from office,” she said.

Ansari, who is of Iranian descent, also called on members of the administration to invoke the 25th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution — which outlines the transfer of presidential powers in the event of death, resignation, removal or incapacitation — to remove U.S. President Donald Trump over what she described as his “unfit statements” regarding the war.

She cited a Truth Social post by Trump on April 5 addressed to Iran’s leadership that contained harsh language. “Open the strait, you insane bastards, or you will live in hell. Just watch! Praise Allah,” he wrote.

“The 25th Amendment exists for a reason, and his Cabinet must use it. The fate of American troops, the Iranian people and the very foundation of our global system are at stake,” Ansari said.

The chances of these initiatives being carried out are minimal: Republicans control both chambers of Congress, and a two-thirds majority in the Senate is required to approve impeachment, Axios reported.

It is also unlikely that Trump’s administration, largely made up of his allies, would support invoking the 25th Amendment, the outlet noted. Axios also reported that Ansari is not the first to propose such a move: last year, Rep. Shri Thanedar introduced articles of impeachment against Hegseth, but they were never brought to a vote.

Trump has repeatedly warned that the United States could strike power plants, bridges and other infrastructure in Iran if Tehran does not reach an agreement or reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

On April 5, he said Iran had until Tuesday, 8:00 p.m. ET, to reach a deal.

Tehran responded that if the United States continues strikes on Iranian infrastructure, the “gates of hell” would open for the United States and Israel. According to CNN, Tehran said it would fully reopen the Strait of Hormuz only after receiving financial compensation for war-related damages.

On April 6, Axios reported that the United States and Iran, through intermediaries, are discussing terms of a potential 45-day ceasefire that could lead to a final end to the war.

The same day, Reuters, citing sources, reported that Iran rejected a proposal to end the war with the United States and Israel that included reopening the Strait of Hormuz in exchange for a ceasefire.

Later, CNN reported that Trump did not support the plan presented by the mediators.

Інші новини

Все новости