World

Trump vows U.S. will block Iran from getting nuclear weapons

Nation

25 February, 12:20 PM

Author: Alex Stezhensky
The United States will not allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons and will pursue that goal through diplomacy, President Donald Trump said during an address to Congress.

Trump said Iran is working to ensure its missiles can reach the United States.

“They (Iran — ed.) have already developed missiles that can threaten Europe and our bases overseas, and they are working on building missiles that will soon reach the United States of America,” he said.

Tehran, however, continues to insist it is not resuming its weapons program, including nuclear weapons. Trump said they “continue to carry out certain work.”

“We are negotiating with them. They want to make a deal, but we have not heard those mysterious words, ‘we will never have nuclear weapons,’” he said.

Trump argued it would be better for both countries to resolve the issue diplomatically.

“But one thing is certain: I will never allow the world’s number one sponsor of terrorism, which they are, without question, to have nuclear weapons. It cannot be allowed,” he said.

On Feb. 23, Reuters, citing an Iranian diplomat, reported that Iran had signaled to the United States it was prepared to make concessions on its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief and recognition of its right to enrich uranium.

Reuters reported that Iran is offering new concessions after talks concluded last week. Analysts said the move suggests Tehran is trying to preserve diplomatic ties and avoid a U.S. strike.

In late January, CNN reported that Trump was considering launching a new large-scale strike on Iran after previous negotiations between Washington and Tehran over limiting the nuclear program and missile production failed to produce results.

The United States later moved a carrier strike group into the region, deploying Patriot air defense systems, THAAD missile defense systems and the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln to the Middle East. The move came amid large-scale protests and the killing of demonstrators in Iran.

On Feb. 13, Trump said he was sending a second carrier group to the Middle East in case he was unable to reach a diplomatic agreement with Iran. He later said that a change of power in Iran “would be the best thing that could happen.”

Інші новини

Все новости