As a result of this week’s prisoner exchange between Ukraine and Russia, 1,000 people returned following agreements reached during trilateral talks in Geneva.
According to Witkoff, the swaps were achieved “thanks to sustained and detailed peace discussions at the direction of President Donald J. Trump.”
“Under the President’s leadership, we continue to achieve meaningful outcomes while working towards formulating a peace deal that will end the war once and for all,” the special representative said. “Discussions remain ongoing, with additional progress anticipated in the weeks ahead.”
On March 5, 200 Ukrainians — soldiers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, State Special Transport Service, State Border Guard Service and National Guard — returned from Russian captivity.
On March 6, Ukraine and Russia conducted a new stage of the prisoner exchange. Another 300 Ukrainian defenders returned home, along with two civilians.
On March 4, public broadcaster Suspilne, citing a source in the Ukrainian delegation, reported that the next round of trilateral talks between Ukraine, the United States and Russia does not yet have a confirmed date or location. Previously, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the next round was planned for the period from March 5 to 9.