Ukraine’s power grid faces toughest winter strain as Russian strikes force emergency outages
DTEK said the electricity situation is difficult. (Photo: Oleksandr Medvediev / NV)
Ukraine’s power grid is facing its most difficult situation this winter, with emergency outages in parts of Kyiv and Kyiv Oblast as well as Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, energy company DTEK said.
In Kyiv, Russian strikes hit power generation facilities during a period of severe cold, when demand on the grid was at its highest. Emergency outages are currently in effect in parts of the Pechersk and Holosiivskyi districts and across the city’s left bank. Scheduled blackout timetables are not being applied.
In Kyiv Oblast, damage from the attacks was compounded by severe weather that caused extensive network failures. DTEK said 187 repair crews are working around the clock across the region.
Transmission problems were also reported in Dnipro and surrounding areas after strikes on high-voltage infrastructure. Overnight into Jan. 11, an аварія left much of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast without electricity, except for the Kryvyi Rih district.
By morning, power had been restored to critical infrastructure facilities. Emergency outages remain in place across the region.
In Zaporizhzhya Oblast, a blackout occurred at 2:11 a.m. on Jan. 11, leaving the entire region without electricity. Power was later restored. Regional energy officials said more than 382,000 households were affected, but electricity has since been fully restored to all consumers. The incident was described as an emergency situation, though officials did not specify the cause.
Earlier, on Jan. 9, DTEK reported that more than 370,000 households in Kyiv Oblast were left without power due to a combination of bad weather and Russian strikes, with the worst damage reported in the Boryspil and Brovary districts. Energy crews restored electricity to nearly 60,000 homes, the company said.
The Energy Ministry previously reported that the city of Slavutych had been completely cut off from the power grid.
The military war may be swinging in our favor, but the information war continues.
Just as an army needs soldiers, so does a free society need its journalists to ensure that people have access to honest, trustworthy voices to understand the world around them.
For the past five years, The New Voice of Ukraine has been working tirelessly to push back against Russian narratives and defend democracy. But we cannot do it alone.
Please consider supporting us on Patreon for just $5 a month – your donation does directly to supporting journalists and ensuring that this front of the infowar says solid and defended.
Thank you.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News