Belarus begins snap combat readiness drills
Troops to move to designated areas, build defenses, and build bridges (Photo:Ministry of Defense of Belarus/Telegram)
Belarus started snap combat readiness drills of its troops on Dec. 13 on the orders of Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko, the Belarusian Ministry of Defense reported in Telegram on. Dec. 13.
The drills will be of a comprehensive nature, the ministry said: Troops will have to move to designated areas, carry out engineering and defensive activities, and build bridges across the Neman and Berezina rivers.
There will be temporary restrictions on the movement of citizens and transport on certain public roads and areas while the movement of military equipment and personnel is ongoing, the ministry said.
Kyrylo Budanov, head of Ukraine’s HUR (Main Intelligence Directorate), said at the end of October that there was no threat of a new invasion from Belarus, but the risk may increase very quickly after the liberation of Kherson.
Ukrainian troops liberated the city, which had been occupied by Russian forces for around nine months, on Nov. 11.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Nov. 16 that an invasion by Belarus makes no sense now. However, he confirmed that the concentration of troops in Belarus has increased.
The Ministry of Defense of Belarus announced on Dec. 6, that the country’s armed forces had begun “planned exercises on combat readiness.”
Belarus announced on Dec. 7 the movement of troops and military equipment, citing a “counter-terrorist threat.”
Since the beginning of the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Russia has stationed its army on the territory of Belarus, launching missile strikes on Ukrainian cities. Moscow has been trying to drag Minsk into an open war against Ukraine – so far without success.
However, Belarus allowed Russia to use its territory to launch its invasion of Ukraine, and Russia launches missiles at Ukraine from Belarus.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News