Final decisions on peace and territory belong to Ukraine — Canada’s Foreign Ministry

27 November 2025, 08:44 AM
World
Anita Anand (Photo: REUTERS/Carlos Osorio)

Anita Anand (Photo: REUTERS/Carlos Osorio)

All decisions about Ukraine’s future — including issues of territorial integrity — must be made exclusively by Ukraine, Canada’s Foreign Minister Anita Anand said, Ukrinform reported on Nov. 27.

She made this statement in response to a journalist’s question about whether Canada could support a peace deal at the cost of Ukraine losing territory.

Anand stressed that Canada consistently supports Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, but that the final word rests with Kyiv itself. She also said she spoke with Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha about the state of the peace talks.

Ad

Ottawa wants to support Ukraine in decisions related to the rule of law, peace, security, and the protection of its territory. She noted that any peace initiatives will have far-reaching consequences not only for Europe but also for global security — and that this must be taken into account.

Anand added that Ukraine will be one of the key issues at next week’s NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in Brussels.

On Nov. 23, U.S. and Ukrainian delegations held talks in Geneva (Switzerland) on a peace plan to end the war. In a joint statement, both sides said the delegations had prepared an updated framework document for a peace settlement.

That same day, National Security and Defense Council Secretary Rustem Umerov said the U.S. and Ukrainian delegations had “reached a shared understanding of the key terms of the agreement discussed in Geneva.” According to him, Kyiv is now waiting for Europe’s support and preparing for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s visit to the United States later this week to finalize details with President Trump.

Zelenskyy, for his part, said the Ukrainian team that returned from Geneva had “provided a full report and an updated framework document.”

On Nov. 24, the Financial Times, citing sources familiar with the talks, reported that the US peace plan had been reduced from 28 points to 19 after the Geneva negotiations between the Ukrainian and American delegations.

Politico, citing a senior U.S. official, wrote that U.S. Secretary of the Army Dan Driscoll, who is now in Abu Dhabi, will present to the Russian delegation the peace framework agreed on Nov. 23 by the United States and Ukraine.

The military war may be swinging in our favor, but the information war continues.

Just as an army needs soldiers, so does a free society need its journalists to ensure that people have access to honest, trustworthy voices to understand the world around them.

For the past five years, The New Voice of Ukraine has been working tirelessly to push back against Russian narratives and defend democracy. But we cannot do it alone.

Please consider supporting us on Patreon for just $5 a month – your donation does directly to supporting journalists and ensuring that this front of the infowar says solid and defended.

Thank you.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

Show more news