As many as 14,000 school students in the temporarily occupied town of Melitopol will continue their studies online according to the Ukrainian educational program, Ukrainian news agency Ukrinform quoted local mayor Ivan Fedorov as saying on Ukrainian national television on Sept. 1.
“Ukrainian authorities will conduct organized schooling,” he said.
“A total of 900 students entered Year 1, which is only 20-30% less than last year. We’re talking about online education in Melitopol schools. Some 14,000 students will continue their studies in Melitopol schools according to the Ukrainian educational program, which is only 10% fewer students than last year.”
According to Fedorov, 60% of Melitopol teachers left for Ukrainian-controlled territory and will continue to teach students.
He said most of the teachers had refused to cooperate with the Russian invaders, and only 10% of the education department employees, mostly technical workers, had become collaborators.
“That’s why the enemy brought more than 500 teachers from Russia to Melitopol,” the mayor said.
“They want to zombify our children, forcing them to sing the Russian national anthem every morning.”
Fedorov also noted that Melitopol citizens who do not want their children to study according to the Russian educational programs are threatened with fines and deprivation of parental rights.
Meanwhile, the mayor said Russian invasion forces in Melitopol had once again come under attack by the Ukrainian military.
“There was another hellish night for the invaders in Melitopol due to the precise work of our armed forces,” he said on Telegram messenger on Sept. 2.
“According to preliminary data, two enemy locations were hit at the same time.”
The mayor said the Ukrainian military had attacked an ammunition depot near the airfield, which the Russian invaders were trying to restore.
“They hit so well that there were detonations for several hours after the (initial) explosion,” Fedorov said.
Information about the second location hit is being verified, the mayor said.