Satellite imagery exposes potential Oreshnik missile site in Belarus

11 February, 12:16 PM
PhotoStory
Probable Oreshnik missile system vehicles were identified at Belarus base (Photo: Russian Defense Ministry / Screenshot)

Probable Oreshnik missile system vehicles were identified at Belarus base (Photo: Russian Defense Ministry / Screenshot)

Satellite imagery has revealed the deployment of probable Oreshnik missile system vehicles at the former Krychev-6 military airfield in Belarus, Radio Liberty reported on Feb. 10.

Journalists noted that on Dec. 30, 2025, Belarus and Russia's Defense Ministries released footage, allegedly showing the Oreshnik complex on "combat duty" within Belarusian territory.

Researchers from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies earlier used satellite data to identify the Krychev-6 airfield as a likely deployment site. After analyzing new data, Radio Liberty confirmed that the official footage was indeed likely filmed at this abandoned airfield near the city of Krychev.

Ad

Planet Labs
Photo: Planet Labs

A Planet Labs satellite image from Feb. 9 shows six vehicles in the central military camp that appear to belong to the Oreshnik complex. While their dimensions and proportions match the equipment previously displayed by the defense ministries, a definitive identification of the vehicle type remains impossible without higher-resolution imagery.

The images also show active construction of hangars for these vehicles. Additionally, approximately 25 military vehicles of various sizes, several earth mounds, and a building of undetermined purpose were identified at the site.

On Dec. 22, Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko claimed that Minsk could receive "a maximum of ten" Oreshnik systems from Russia.

"Ten — that will be the maximum," he said.

However, in Jan. 2025, the dictator claimed that "one Oreshnik complex is enough to ensure Belarus security."

On Dec. 18, the self-proclaimed Belarus president asserted that the Russian missile system officially entered combat duty on Belarusian soil.

The following day, Dec. 19, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that Ukraine was aware of the system's location.

"The transfer of Oreshnik to Belarus is being completed," Zelenskyy said.

"We understand where it will be. We are passing this information to our partners. I think the partners can assess this threat themselves and understand how to react."

The military war may be swinging in our favor, but the information war continues.

Just as an army needs soldiers, so does a free society need its journalists to ensure that people have access to honest, trustworthy voices to understand the world around them.

For the past five years, The New Voice of Ukraine has been working tirelessly to push back against Russian narratives and defend democracy. But we cannot do it alone.

Please consider supporting us on Patreon for just $5 a month – your donation does directly to supporting journalists and ensuring that this front of the infowar says solid and defended.

Thank you.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

Show more news