Russians going on the offensive, trying to retake lost positions
General Staff reported what is currently happening at the front (Photo:General Staff)
Russian invasion forces are concentrating their efforts on conducting offensive actions in the Bakhmut and Avdiyivka directions, trying to regain a position they lost in the Lyman area and conducting defense in other areas, the Ukrainian military’s General Staff reported on Dec. 20.
Over the past day, units of the Defense Forces of Ukraine have repelled attacks by the invaders in the vicinities of the settlements of Stelmakhivka, Chervonopivka, and Serebryanske of Luhansk Oblast, as well as at Verkhnyokamyane, Pidhorodne, Bakhmut, Opytne, Kurdyumivka, Krasnohorivka, and Maryinka in Donetsk Oblast.
During the day, Russian troops launched four missile and 60 air strikes, and also carried out more than 80 attacks with multiple launch rocket systems. These strikes affected civilian infrastructure and the civilian population, Ukraine’s General Staff said.
- In the areas of Volyn and Polissya in north and western Ukraine, the situation remains without significant changes – no signs of the formation of enemy offensive groups have been detected. Certain units of the armed forces of the Republic of Belarus and the Russian Federation remain in areas bordering Ukraine;
- In the area of Siversk in the north and east, the settlements of Tymonovychi, Karpovychi, and Kostobobriv of Chernihiv Oblast, as well as Novovasylivka, Kindrativka, Vodolohy, Zapsillia, and Yezdetske in Sumy Oblast, were attacked with mortars;
- In the area of Sloboda in the east, mortar and artillery attacks on the positions of Ukrainian troops were recorded in the vicinities of the settlements of Strelecha, Hlyboke, Starytsia, Vovchansk, Volokhivka, Chavunivka, and Dvorichna in Kharkiv Oblast;
- In the Kupyansk and Lyman areas in the east, shelling from tanks, mortars, artillery and rockets was recorded in the vicinties of the settlements of Kotlyarivka, Krokhmalne, and Berestov in Kharkiv Oblast, and Novoselivske, Stelmakhivka, Makiivka, Ploshanka, Chervonpopivka and Dibrova in Luhansk Oblast;
- In the areas of Bakhmut and Avdiyivka in the east, Russian troops continue to conduct assault operations, firing from tanks, mortars, rocket systems and artillery at Ukrainian positions in the areas around 30 settlements, including Verkhnyokamianske, Berestov, Yakovlivka, Soledar, Hryhorivka, Bakhmutske, Bakhmut, Chasiv Yar, Klishchiivka, Andriyivka, Kurdyumivka, Avdiyivka, Krasnohorivka, Maryinka and Novomykhailivka in Donetsk Oblast;
- In the areas of Zaporizhzhya and Kherson, artillery shelling of positions of Ukrainian troops and civilian infrastructure along the right bank of the Dnipro River was recorded. There were hits in the areas of the settlements Temyrivka, Chervone, Mali Shcherbaky and Plavni in Zaporizhzhya Oblast, and Chornobayivka, Antonivka, Kherson, Mykilske, Tokarivka and Mylove in Kherson Oblast.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News