Ukrainian forces shoot down enemy helicopter; aviation and artillery strike at enemy
The General Staff reported effective air strikes and artillery strikes (Photo:Command of the Air Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine)
Ukraine’s army repelled more than 60 enemy attacks over the past day, with Ukrainian aviation and artillery units striking important positions held by Russian invasion forces, the Ukrainian military’s General Staff said in its morning report on Facebook on April 6.
Over the last 24 hours, Ukraine’s air force conducted 17 strikes on areas with high concentrations of enemy troops and military equipment. In addition, Ukrainian forces shot down a Russian Ka-52 helicopter and two unmanned aerial vehicles – identified as Orlan and Supercam UAVs.
Rocket forces and artillery units struck two command posts, three ammunition depots, three positions of anti-aircraft defense systems, and four enemy radio-electronic warfare stations, the General Staff said.
Meanwhile, on April 5, Western officials announced that Russian forces had made very slow progress in capturing Bakhmut over the last six months, despite the deployment of a large number of soldiers, and despite suffering huge losses.
In addition, Serhiy Cherevatyy, a representative of the Eastern military group of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, stated that the Russian invasion forces are “very far” from capturing Bakhmut, despite claims by the leader of the Wagner group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, that they have already done so.
Commander of the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Colonel-General Oleksandr Syrskyi, stated that he is constantly working with units carrying out tasks in the Bakhmut direction, refuting claims by Russia about the “capture” of the city.
However, according to the U.S. Institute for the Study of War, as of April 3, Wagner PMC mercenaries are likely to have actually captured the building of the Bakhmut City Administration and will continue their attempts to consolidate control over the central part of the city, where fierce fighting is taking place.As of now, Ukraine’s General Staff says Russian invasion forces are concentrating their main efforts on conducting offensive operations in the Luhansk, Bakhmut, Avdiyivka, and Mariyinka directions. Fighting remains most intense in the areas of Bakhmut, Avdiyivka, and Mariyinka.
- The operational situation in Volyn, Polissya, Sivershchyna, and Slobozhanshchyna remains unchanged, and there are no signs of enemy offensive formations. Russia is using the airspace and territory of Belarus for military purposes. Shelling has been recorded in populated areas of Chernihiv, Sumy, and Kharkiv oblasts, including Turiya, Leonivka, Pechenyhy in Chernihiv Oblast, Seredyna-Buda, Stukalivka, Bezsalivka, and Volfyne in Sumy Oblast, and Odnorobivka, Udy, Chervona Zoria, Veterynarne, Kozacha Lopan, Lypci, Neskuchne, Ohirtseve, Zybune, and Bochkove in Kharkiv Oblast.
- Topoli, Fiholivka, Dvorichna, Masyutivka, Kupyansk, Kucherivka, Krokhmalne and Berestove in Kharkiv Oblast, and Novoselivske and Stelmakhivka in Luhansk Oblast came under shelling in the Kupyansk section of front.
- In the Lyman direction, Russian troops conducted unsuccessful offensive actions in the areas of Nevske and Serebryanske forestry. Makiyivka, Nevske, Bilohorivka in Luhansk Oblast, as well as Terni, Zarychne, Torske, Spirne, and Rozdolivka in Donetsk Oblast were shelled by artillery.
- On the Bakhmut section of the front, the invaders are attempting to take full control of the city and continue to storm it. Unsuccessful offensive operations were also carried out in the areas of the settlements of Bohdanivka and Ivanivske. Ukrainian forces repelled about 20 attacks on this section of the front. More than 15 settlements, including Vasyukivka, Minkivka, Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Novomarkove, Hryhorivka, Bakhmut, Ivanivske, Chasiv Yar, Novodytrivka, Bila Hora, Kleban-Bik, Toretsk and Shumy in Donetsk Oblast, were hit by enemy shelling.
- On the Avdiyivka and Mariyinka sections of the front, Russian forces carried out offensive actions in the areas of Novokalynove, Avdiyivka, and Mariyinka in Donetsk Oblast, but were unsuccessful. In the vicinity of Mariyinka alone they carried out over 25 unsuccessful attacks. The towns of Novokalynove, Berdychiv, Lastochkyne, Avdiyivka, Netaylove, Pervomaiske, Krasnohorivka, Georgiyivka, Mariyinka, and Pobeda came under enemy fire.
- On the Shakhtarsk section of the front, the invaders did not carry out any offensive actions, but actively used drones for artillery fire correction. The areas around Novomykhailivka, Vuhledar, Prechystivka, and Velyka Novosilkain Donetsk Oblast were shelled.
- Russian forces are strengthening their defensive positions on the Zaporizhzhya and Kherson fronts. They shelled more than 35 towns, includingVremivka and Novopillia in Donetsk Oblast; Malynivka, Zaliznychne, Huliaypilske, Mala Tokmachka, Novopavlivka, and Kamianske in ZaporizhzhyaOblast; and Novooleksandrivka, Havrylivka, Novoberislav, Kozatske, Mykolaivka, Lvivske, Ivanivka, Antonivka, Stepanivka, and Chornobaivka in Kherson Oblast.
We’re bringing the voice of Ukraine to the world. Support us with a one-time donation, or become a Patron!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News