"The night was unbearable. Enemy Shaheds again targeted our city, and once again our Mechnikov Hospital was hurt," the hospital staff wrote.
The attack blew out windows, shattered glass throughout the building, peppered walls with shrapnel, and damaged multiple hospital wings. Despite the destruction, the hospital continued operating without interruption.
"We are wounded, but we did not stop for a single minute," hospital staff said. “All departments are working. Every life entrusted to us is under reliable protection. We are holding the medical front of Dnipro and the entire country. We do not surrender. We work in spite of everything.”
The May 18 attack on Dnipro
Russia launched a mass strike on Dnipro and the surrounding region on May 18, using both missiles and drones. 28 people were wounded, including a five-month-old infant. Eight were hospitalized; the rest were treated and released for outpatient care.
Dnipro Mayor Borys Filatov said 56 buildings had been damaged and nearly 2,000 windows blown out across apartment buildings in the city.
A warehouse storing pyrotechnic products was also reported hit. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said significant destruction was recorded across the oblast, including strikes on energy infrastructure.
Ukraine's Air Force reported that Russia launched 22 missiles — including 14 ballistic missiles — and 524 strike drones against Ukraine overnight into May 18, with Dnipro and the surrounding region as the primary target.