Iran closes Strait of Hormuz again less than a day after reopening

Nation

18 April, 02:19 PM

Iran is reimposing strict control over the Strait of Hormuz due to a continued U.S. blockade, a spokesman for the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters said, Fars News Agency reported on Apr. 18.

He said Iran had agreed “in good faith” to allow the controlled passage of a limited number of oil and commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz, but that the United States was “continuing its piratical actions under the guise of a so-called blockade.”

“For this reason, control over the Strait of Hormuz has returned to its previous state, and this strategic waterway is under strict management and control by the armed forces,” the statement said.

The spokesperson added that the strait would remain “under strict control” until the United States lifts restrictions on shipping to and from Iran.

Earlier, Bloomberg reported that several oil tankers in the Persian Gulf on April 18 turned around after attempting to pass through the Strait of Hormuz.

On April 17, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran was opening the Strait of Hormuz for the duration of a ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel adopted on April 16.

At the same time, Iranian officials said passage would only be possible in coordination with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and that the future regime for transit would depend on U.S. actions.

President Donald Trump later said that although the Strait of Hormuz had been opened to commercial traffic, the United States would continue to block all maritime shipments to and from Iranian ports.

Overnight into April 18, Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said that if the U.S. blockade continues, the Strait of Hormuz will not be considered fully open, and vessel passage will take place only along designated routes and with Iran’s permission.

Інші новини

Все новости