7 August, 12:32 PM
Renewed mobilization push in Russia-occupied parts of Donbas
The report says the mobilization drive started on Aug. 1, and is aimed at replenishing depleted infantry units, such as the 2nd Army Corps of the so-called “Luhansk People’s Republic.”
This drawing upon manpower in occupied areas of eastern Ukraine is happening across cities and towns of Luhansk Oblast. In the city of Luhansk alone, enough men were “mobilized” at a local market to fill two buses in just 40 minutes, MDI reported.
In Alchevsk, Luhansk Oblast, men were practically abducted off the city streets, Ukrainian intelligence says, resulting in frustration among the local population. Many local male residents have gone into hiding for fear of random conscription sweeps.
Meanwhile, those already “serving” in the Russian puppet armed groups complain about their third-rate equipment compared to regular Russian units. Numerous reports have indicated that these puppet “militias” had been outfitted with WWII-era helmets.
Moscow launched forced mobilization in the occupied areas of Donbas shortly before launching its full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
As the war progressed, the Kremlin began to “mobilize” Ukrainian citizens in newly-conquered territories, forcing them to fight against the armed forces of their own country. This is regarded to be a violation of international humanitarian law, and may be classified as a crime against humanity.