Pentagon wants to restart two top-secret programs in Ukraine, reports Washington Post
The media reported that the Pentagon wants to restore two top-secret programs in Ukraine (Photo:Ben Birchall/Pool via REUTERS)
The Pentagon is calling on the U.S. Congress to restore funding for two top-secret programs in Ukraine suspended before Russia’s invasion last year, U.S. newspaper The Washington Post reported on Feb. 10, citing current and former U.S. officials.
If approved, the move would allow US Special Operations troops to enlist Ukrainian operatives to monitor Russian troop movements and counter disinformation.
According to WP, it is unlikely that a decision will be made before autumn.
“Defense officials are preparing a proposal for lawmakers’ consideration in the coming months, when work begins on next year’s Pentagon policy and funding bill,” the article said.
The newspaper writes that “if successful, these programs could resume as soon as 2024, though it remains unclear if the Biden administration would allow U.S. commandos back into Ukraine to oversee them or if the military would seek to do that from a neighboring country.”
Congressional officials said it is difficult to predict the outcome, especially given that Republicans were divided over the amount of money spent on Ukraine.
However, “others argue that the programs’ relatively small expense — $15 million annually for such activities worldwide — is a bargain compared with the tens of billions of dollars being committed to train and arm Ukrainian forces, and replenish U.S. stockpiles,” the newspaper said.
Spokesmen for the Senate and House Armed Services Committees declined to comment, citing the programs’ classified status. The White House also declined to comment. The Pentagon declined to comment because of program classification.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News