Russian attacks during Putin’s 'Christmas ceasefire' kill two in Donbas, wound seven

7 January, 12:00 PM
Donetsk Oblast (Photo:REUTERS/Yevhen Titov/File Photo)

Donetsk Oblast (Photo:REUTERS/Yevhen Titov/File Photo)

The Russian military killed two civilians in Donetsk Oblast and wounded seven more on Jan. 6, regional governor Pavlo Kyrylenko reported on Telegram.

According to him, the casualties during the day were among residents of Bakhmut and Krasna Hora.

Russian dictator Vladimir Putin declared that Russian invasion forces in Ukraine would observe a unilateral ceasefire during Orthodox Christmas on Jan. 6 and Jan. 7, but Russian invasion forces continued to shell Ukrainian towns and cities all along the front line even after the ceasefire was supposed to go into effect at 11.00 on Jan. 6.

Video of day

In total, since the beginning of the full-scale Russian aggression against Ukraine, 1,292 people have been killed in Donetsk Oblast, another 2,823 have been injured. These figures do not include casualties in Mariupol and Volnovakha, where the exact number of victims cannot be established — though Ukrainian officials reckon the number could be in the tens of thousands.

Russian dictator Vladimir Putin instructed Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu to “introduce a ceasefire” along the front lines in Ukraine from 1200 on Jan. 6 until 2400 on Jan. 7. This is according to Moscow time — in Ukraine the times are an hour earlier.

The dictator said the decision was prompted by the appeals of one of his regime cronies, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, as well as his own alleged concern for the religious community.

Putin then called on Kyiv to join the “Christmas truce” and institute a similar ceasefire.

A few minutes after the alleged start of the "ceasefire," it was reported that Russia's had shelled the city of Kherson, killing a rescue worker.

Russian invasion forces also attacked Kramatorsk and Kurakhove in Donetsk Oblast, and a settlement in Luhansk Oblast.

Ukrainian and foreign journalists reported from the frontline city of Bakhmut in Donetsk Oblast, where Russian invasion forces are currently concentrating their assault on the country, that there had been no letup in Russian artillery fire after the ceasefire was supposed to have come into effect.

They also said Ukrainian forces were returning fire.

There  was also a countrywide air raid alert across the whole of the country at 12.45 p.m., and hour and 45 minutes after Russia’s ceasefire was supposed to have come into effect. It was triggered by the launch of a Russian MiG-31K warplane in Belarus.

The warplane is of a type that can launch Russian Kinzhal hypersonic, nuclear-tipped cruise missiles.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google News

poster
Ukraine Today
Fresh daily newsletter covering the top headlines and developments in Ukraine
Daily at 9am EST
Show more news
X